Job Opening: Business Development And IP Manager
March 19th 2020 8:11 am | Posted in
to: Chief Executive Officer
Responsible for: BD & IP activities at SSL
Terms: Full time/ Part time, 1 year fixed term contract
Location: Part of the time from Surrey Research Park, Guildford
Annual Salary: £35K – £55K per year pro rata
If you would like to apply, please send us a Cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications: 31st March 2020
To lead all the business development and intellectual property activities.
As a Business Development and IP Manager you will be required to manage business development activities for the company driving sales activities and the acquisition of new business. You will also be required to provide professional support in the identification, patenting, licensing, marketing, and reporting of SSL intellectual property.
We are a young, vibrant and exciting start-up company looking for new talent that can grow with our company in the Materials and Manufacturing sectors. Our ambition is to be the world’s leader in microfiltration and particle separations technology.
Our mission is to “improve quality of life through innovation” in the areas of health, the environment and human causes. We have won several awards since we were born in 2013, including a Horizon 2020 SME Instrument Phase 2 grant. This means that we have been expanding significantly in the past year and we are one step closer to see our work making a truly global impact.
As a fast-growing company, we are looking for an enthusiastic Executive Assistant. This person will be working closely with the CEO and so, they need to work autonomously taking on a number of key responsibilities within the business, alongside working collaboratively.
Key Responsibilities and Authorities
- Organise and schedule meetings.
- Prepare meeting agendas, perform research for meetings, and take minutes during meetings.
- Book business travel arrangements, including flights, trains and accommodation for senior management and other staff members.
- Manage the diaries and schedules of senior management.
- Maintain electronic filing systems, ensuring processes and softwar
- Report progress on a weekly basis to the Management team;
- Provide support and advice to IP identification, filing and the IP strategy and structure of the company, including assisting with freedom to operate searches;
- Assist with identifying and writing grant funding applications. This shall include finding suitable funding sources, co-writing and managing the application processes and feedback, liaising with the Management team;
- Provide support for grant project management and reporting, which will include closing of the projects liaising with the Management team;
- Represent SSL at various events and conferences;
- Support in product development, marketing and general business development activities;
- Leading the sales and marketing strategy of the company in its different market segments, as and when required;
- Complying with all reasonable requests, instructions and regulations made by us from time to time and giving us such explanations, information and assistance as we may reasonably require;
- Taking all practicable steps to safeguard our tangible and intangible property and interest and using your utmost endeavours to further the interests of the company as a whole;
- Participating in team meetings and in general providing such reports concerning your duties as we may from time to time require.
- Use and update Basecamp, CharlieHR and Smartsheet, or any other management software the company uses, to keep on track all tasks and requirements. This includes observing all instructions provided and abiding by the deadlines.
All staff are expected to:
- Perform their work responsibly, conscientiously and to a high standard and to conduct themselves in accordance with the general rules and regulations of the company as notified from time to time;
- Promote the good name and the work of the organisation.
- Adhere to all relevant policies, procedures and other regulations agreed by the organisation.
- Carry out all duties with due regard to Equal Opportunities.
- Attend training, supervision, and meetings as required.
- Respond to emergencies outside office hours as required.
- Undertake any additional tasks that may be requested from time to time in keeping with the post.
- Observe and abide by the Staff Handbook, which will be made available to you.
Training & Qualifications
- Master Degree in Life Sciences, Medical or Physical Science related disciplines or equivalent qualification or experience.
- Legal or health services management qualifications
- Experience of business development and a
- strong understanding of business development methodology
- Experience in commercial legal contract negotiation and detailed clause interpretation and negotiation, including IP related Agreements.
- Evidence of successful contract research or consultancy business won, or successful IP commercialisation or technology-transfer.
- Demonstrable experience of handling Material Transfer Agreements/ Confidentiality Agreements
- Proven understanding of the research arena and its changing environment
- Good theoretical and practical knowledge of IP, in particular patents, copyright and trademarks.
- Knowledge and experience of IP commercialisation
- Experience in intellectual property drafting, filing and administration
- Experience of bidding for public as well as private research and development funding.
- Demonstrable experience in a research and development environment (Chemistry, Biology, Engineering, or related discipline), involving technology-transfer, intellectual property, commercial and/or legal aspects.
- Basic knowledge of Human Tissue Act, Data Protection Act, Freedom of Information Act.
Communication and relationship skills
- Positive attitude and an entrepreneurial spirit. A strong sense of personal and team accountability coupled with a clear understanding of the boundaries around delegated authority. You must have a strong work initiative and the ability to adapt to new challenges and ideas.
- Influencing and persuasion skills
- Ability to provide and receive highly complex, sensitive or contentious information
- Ability to conceptualise, articulate and communicate persuasively about complex ideas
- Ability to command the respect of, and operate effectively with senior individuals from professional bodies.
- Advocacy skills
- Social media and web skills
To apply, please send your CV and a cover letter at email@example.com.